Black Chickpeas CurryCourse: Lunch, DinnerCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Medium
1 cup Cooked Black Chickpeas
1/2 Red Onion
2 medium Roma Tomatoes
1/4 cup Cilantro
3 tbsp Cooking Oil
1/2 tsp Garlic Paste
1/2 tsp Ginger Paste
1 tsp Cumin Seeds
3 Cardamon Pods
1 small Cinnamon Stick
1 Bay Leaf
Red Chillies Powder/Paprika
Chole Masala (optional)
Garam Masala (optional)
- If canned Black Chickpeas cannot be found, soak 1/2 cup dry black chickpeas in 2 cups of water overnight.
- Next day morning, drain water and cook soaked chickpeas in 3 cups of water for 30 mins or till chickpeas turn soft.
- Keep cooked chickpeas aside. Do not drain cooked water, will use it in curry.
- In a large sauce pan, add oil. When oil is hot add cumin seeds, cinnamon stick, cardamom pods, cloves, bay leaf and saute for a 5 secs.
- Add finely chopped onion and fry till onions turn translucent. Add ginger, garlic paste and saute till raw smell of ginger and garlic is gone.
- Blend Roma tomatoes to smooth paste and add to the sauce pan. Mix everything once and cook on medium flame till oil separates ( or till onion-tomato mixture becomes thick ).
- Add in salt, red chillies powder, garam masala, chole masala and mix together.
- Add cooked chickpeas, chickpeas cooked water or 1 cup normal water and mix everything well. Check taste and add salt or chillies powder if needed.
- Add 1/4 cup coconut cream if cannot handle spiciness.
- Add finely chopped cilantro and simmer for 20 mins ( add 1/2 cup more water if needed ).
- Serve with rice or naan!
How do you like it…? let me know in the comments below and don’t forget to follow @theguccha on Instagram & Facebook for live updates and video recipes! Thank you for the support!