We have been told to eat seasonal fruits and vegetables as they are packed with nutrients that benefit our body during particular time of year. Have you ever craved for fruits or vegetables during the time they are available..? like wanting to eat mangoes in summer, pumpkin in fall and berries in summer mornings! I do, even though I love mangoes, I prefer to eat pumpkin in fall months over mango. This just amazes me how our body changes according to the changes in nature…and so true we are all a tiny part of this enormous nature!
If you are craving for that warm, comforting soups…you are in right place! We are making easy Butternut Squash Soup with less and healthy ingredients.
Preparing Butternut Squash
There are two ways to prepare squash for this soup,..adding chopped squash as it is or roasting the squash before adding to soup.
- Peel butternut squash, cut in half vertically and remove seeds with a spoon.
- If adding squash without roasting, chop butternut squash to small cubes and keep aside.
- If roasting butternut squash, chop squash to small cubes, place on baking tray. Drizzle with cooking oil, salt, pepper and roast for 30 mins at 370F.
Note: You can store roasted butternut squash in a refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Butternut Squash Soup
- 2 lb Butternut Squash 1 squash
- 1/2 Onion yellow
- 4-5 Garlic Cloves
- 1/4 cup Cooking Oil
- 1/4 cup Coconut Cream or milk
- 1/2 cup Vegetable Broth
- 2 tbsp Thyme fresh or dried
- 3-4 Basil Leaves
- Salt as needed
- Pepper as needed
- Peel butternut squash, cut in half vertically, remove seeds with a spoon.
- Cut peeled squash to cubes and place on baking tray. Drizzle cooking oil, salt, pepper and bake at 370F for 30 mins. Let cool to handle and keep aside.
- In a cooking pot, add 3 tbsp of cooking oil. When oil is hot, add roughly chopped garlic cloves and cook for a minute. Add roughly chopped onion to pot and cook on medium flame till onions turn translucent.
- Add roasted butternut squash, vegetable broth, thyme, basil leaves to pot and cook for 10 mins on medium flame.
- Add salt, pepper, coconut cream to taste and cook for 5 mins on low flame.
- Keep flame on low and blend using hand blender or turn off flame, let the mix cool, transfer the mix to a blender and blend to smooth soup.
- Warm soup before serve and drizzle salt and pepper on top. Add croutons or herbs on top if needed!
- Add celery or carrot to soup for extra flavor.
- For vegetarian option, add cream instead of coconut cream.
How do you like it..? let me know in the comments below and don’t forget to follow @theguccha on Instagram and Facebook for live updates and video recipes! Thank you for the support!
See you in the next post!