Tofu Tacos with Cilantro SauceCourse: MainCuisine: MexicanDifficulty: Medium
- for Marination
75g firm Tofu ( 1/2 block of Tofu )
3-4 tbsp of firm plant-based Yogurt ( flavorless )
1/2 tbsp Ginger Paste
1/2 tbsp Garlic Paste
1/2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Red Chillies Powder ( or paprika )
1 tsp Cumin seeds powder
1/2 tsp dry Mango Powder
1 tsp Coriander Powder
1/2 tsp dried Mint leaves ( or fresh )
- for Filling
1/2 Red Onion, finely chopped
1 medium Roma Tomato, finely chopped
1/4 cup Tomato Paste
1/2 Bell Pepper, sliced
- for Sauce
1/2 cup Cilantro, fresh. (with stems)
5-6 Mint Leaves, fresh
1 hot pepper or 1/2 Jalapeno
3 tbsp plant-based Yogurt
- for Toppings
1/4 cup Bread crumbs
1/4 of Tofu block ( 35g Tofu )
2 tbsp Chickpea or White Flour
- Marinate Tofu – cut tofu in cubes and transfer to a large bowl, add yogurt, ginger, garlic paste, salt, chillies powder, cumin powder, dry mango powder, coriander powder, dried mint leaves. Mix well and keep aside or in refrigerator for 20-30 mins.
- In mean time prepare sauce.
- For sauce, add cilantro, mint, hot pepper in a blender and blend to smooth paste (add 1 tsp water if needed). In a small bowl, add 3 tbsp yogurt, 2 tbsp of blended cilantro paste and mix well. Cilantro sauce is ready to use! ( add more or less blended paste to yogurt based on your taste )
- Once marination time is over, in a frying pan, add 2 tbsp of cooking oil. When oil is hot, add finely chopped onions and fry till onions turn translucent. Add chopped tomato, tomato paste and cook for 5 mins on medium.
- Add marinated tofu to frying pan and mix well. Cook on medium heat for 10-15 mins or till filling thickens.
- Add slices bell pepper before turning off flame. Filling is ready!
- For toppings apart from fried onions, we prepared fried tofu.
- For fried tofu, dice tofu to small squares. In a small bowl, add chickpea or white flour, 2 tsp water and mix to get smooth paste. In another small bowl or plate take bread crumbs.
- Dip dices tofu into flour paste and then into bread crumbs and deep fry in oil till they turn red in color. (fried tofu is optional topping)
- Arrange the taco by applying sauce at the bottom, adding filling and then topping with fried onions and fried tofu.
- Can use corn taco or white flour taco base.
- Serve warm!
- If vegetarian, replace tofu with paneer and plant-based yogurt with normal yogurt.
How do you like it..? let me know in the comments below and don’t forget to follow @theguccha on Instagram & Facebook for live updates and video recipes! Thank you for the support!